Hi all! Due to life events, I will not be posting or reupping albums in the future. Some of the albums might be available on the Facebook group mentioned below. Thanks for understanding!

For Facebook users, please check out and join my new sharing group Trashy Treasures, featuring 70s, 80s and 90s music pleasures!! A lot like the Isle, but with everyone able to contribute and discuss the tasty old music we love!!!

For all you pop lovers on Facebook, you should join the Pop Rush Community Facebook page immediately. Lots of amazing shares of great pop music from the 1990's and 2000's!!

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Elisa Fiorillo - Elisa Fiorillo (1987) & I Am (1990) DOUBLE POST!!

One of the albums I've had the most requests for is Elisa Fiorillo's I Am. Since I aim to please, here it is, along with her first album.  Elisa Fiorillo grew up in Philadelphia with a love of singing. This led to her appearing on and winning Star Search in 1983 at the age of 15. The combination of good looks and powerful pipes led to her being signed to Chrysalis Records a few years later. Her first recording was on the soundtrack of the film Summer School. The track, "Jackie", was also recorded that same year by Blue Zone, Lisa Stansfield's first group, and became a hit for them. Elisa also attracted the attention of super-producer and labelmate Jellybean, and she did guest vocals on two of the tracks from his Just Visiting This Planet album. The track "Who Found Who" became a top 20 Billboard hit, so Elisa quickly recorded a solo album to capitalize on it. The song "Little Too Good To Me" from Jellybean's album was included on her album as well and was released as a single as 'Elisa Fiorillo Featuring Jellybean'. It was a dance hit but didn't become a pop hit. Two more singles, "How Can I Forget You" and "Forgive Me For Dreaming", did reach the Billboard pop chart, but not the top 40. The final single, "You Don't Know", didn't chart, and Elisa's moment in the spotlight seemed over. To be honest, I was never a fan of any of the singles and didn't bother getting the album. Though she worked on the album with Jellybean and another of Madonna's collaborators, Reggie Lucas, and was appealing to Madonna's audience, her songs lacked the excitement of Madonna's work, in my opinion. But a few years later she appeared on my radar when she began working with my idol Prince. She recorded her follow up at his Paisley Park studios, and also did back-up vocals on some of his songs. The album was mainly produced by Paisley Park stalwart David Z., and it was much funkier and Prince-influenced. The first single, "On The Way Up", became her biggest hit, reaching the Billboard Top 30. But although she seemed destined for greater success, the follow-up single, the Prince-produced "Oooh This I Need", barely dented the Top 100 and Elisa once again faded from view. She did keep busy doing backing vocals and jingles over the years, as well as concentrating on being a mom. She managed to release three more independent albums - the poppier Undecided in 2001, and the jazz-inflected Teach Me Tonight in 2002 and Labour Of Love in 2006/7. Also in 2007 she released the independent country album Light That Shines, under the moniker E.J. Dease, taking her husband's last name. She continues to record new material to this day, including a couple of collaborative albums. For more info on her recent music, go HERE. She also hooked up with Prince again in 2009, appearing with him as a backing vocalist on The Tonight Show, and continued on as a permanent member of his band the New Power Generation.  You can also see her perform weekly in Las Vegas with the Bruce Harper Big Band.

Video for How Can I Forget You

Live performance of Forgive Me For Dreaming

Download Elisa Fiorillo

1
You Don't Know
2
How Can I Forget You
3
Gimme Special Love
4
Forgive Me For Dreaming
5
Do Something Foolish
6
Little Too Good To Me
7
More Than Love
8
Headin' For A Heartache
9
Lover's Prayer
10
Two Times Love

Video for On The Way Up

Live performance of Ooh This I Need

Download I Am

1
I Am
2
On The Way Up
3
Out Of My Mind
4
Playgirl
5
Love's No Fun
6
Ooh This I Need
7
Ain't Right
8
Something So Strong
9
Don't Change
10
Purpose In Your Life

18 comments:

  1. I used to own "I Am," and still have her first CD. The songs I liked the most on "I Am" are "On the Way Up" and "Purpose in Your Life." It's a shame she got lost in the shuffle of female pop/dance singers who emerged in the late '80s scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o thanks...was wondering if anyone knows her beside the Jellybean track...


    Used to own her the album in cassette !!!
    Her debut album, Elisa Fiorillo which features "You Don't Know" is my fave..(was a minor hit (top 100)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember her from ongoing rumours in 1990. Tabloids reported that she had been dating Jordan Knight of New Kids On The Block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx a bunch for this, NastyG! I really appreciate it! And I don't mind you re-posting Elisa's self-titled at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, just popping over from Popdose's Tyka Nelson comments, and I find this? Jeez, I've been looking for the I Am album ever since it was released. Thx ever so much for sharing it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you can get On The Way Up (Power Remix)...thats the mix that got her the short buzz besides her ballad...Forgive Me For Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for this post! I was searching out the Paisley Park production.

    With Peace and Love2tha9s,

    SeeNote

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, really enjoying the blog, not just the downloads but the write ups too! There are several Paisley Park related things I am still searching out so it you could re-upload these, that'd be great. Thank you in advance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Am has been reupped. Will hopefully get to the others tomorrow. ;)

      Delete
    2. Great! Been waiting to hear these :-D

      Delete
  9. i love her. thanks for this. its one of my favorite albums of all time. Forgive me for Dreaming will always be my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. one of my favorite albums of all time. Forgive me for dreaming will always be my favorite song ever but its a close second to Little too good to me. i have lived that song.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for still updating your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking for "Forgive Me For Dreaming" for years - thank you for making it available. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your partner, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. A big big thank you for providing the excellent album "I Am" — which still isn't available on Apple Music. Now I only need to find "Am I (Dub II)" somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elisa Fiorillo - I Am (1990)
    Hi Nasty G, trust ur day's going well...
    Just a friendly request, may u please re-upload/post link?
    I greatly appreciate the shares, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you please re-upload both albums?. Thank you so much for keeping memories alives❤️

    ReplyDelete