Hi all! Due to life events, I will not be posting or reupping albums in the future. Some of the albums might be available on the Facebook group mentioned below. Thanks for understanding!

For Facebook users, please check out and join my new sharing group Trashy Treasures, featuring 70s, 80s and 90s music pleasures!! A lot like the Isle, but with everyone able to contribute and discuss the tasty old music we love!!!

For all you pop lovers on Facebook, you should join the Pop Rush Community Facebook page immediately. Lots of amazing shares of great pop music from the 1990's and 2000's!!

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Nathalie Archangel - Owl (1991)

I had never heard of Nathalie Archangel until I was perusing one of my favourite blogs, Recordo Obscura, a place where any and every piece of vinyl found in the bargain bin will eventually show up. Her first self-titled album, released in 1987 on Columbia Records, was featured there. I gave it a listen and immediately liked what I heard. It was produced by legendary pop producer David Kahne (whose credits are too numerous to mention here), so the quality is top notch, and the songs are fun and quirky synth and dance pop. She released two singles, "I Can't Reach You" and "Mr. Perfect For Me", that didn't get much attention aside from in hip dance clubs. Unfortunately it was never released on CD anywhere but Japan, however. But thanks to a comment on the post by Miss Archangel herself, I discovered that she did indeed release a follow-up on MCA Records (well, two follow-ups according to her, but I cannot find one bit of info on the third). Anyway, I rushed to eBay and discovered her second, Owl, was on CD and snatched it up! It was produced mainly by Greg Penny, who has also worked with k.d. lang and Elton John. And it is more mature than her first, but equally as good. No doubt I am not the first to compare her to Cyndi Lauper, both vocally and in song choice. It's like a lost Cyndi album! The song "So Quiet So Still" was the lead single, and it was also featured in the Ellen Barkin film Switch. There were other possible singles like "My Older Lover", featuring Frankie Valli and produced by Don Was, and "It Don't Heal Clean" featuring and produced by Howard Jones. But again the first single didn't make a significant impact, and I think it's safe to say she was dropped by the label. Likely her third album was released independently, and I'd like to get my hands on it. Otherwise I know and can find nothing else on this mystery lady. Well, I suppose I COULD send her a message on Facebook, since I found her there, but I am not one to hound strangers, no matter how much I respect their work! But I have a sneaking suspicion that I may just hear from her here. ;) If you're out there, Nathalie, please fill us in !

UPDATE!!: Aha, so Nathalie DID find this and write in the comments! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting, Nathalie!! Here's what she had to say:

"Ok, I give ;) The third record is called "Raven" (yes I do appreciate our feathered brethren--one of my daughters is called Wren). It was released on a small label called "Coyote" records at the turn of the last century. Most of this record was produced by Jim West (Weird Al) and Dana Walden (Champagne). N btw....My eldest daughter (not named for a bird), created a Facebook fanpage for me. It is something of a work in progress-- It can be found at: Nathalie Archangel:) That daughter is 12---You must be a "Millenial" to add :) to a name under any circumstances."

Please visit Recordo Obscuro to listen to and download her self-titled debut HERE (though it is posted as full sides and not track by track).

Video for Mr. Perfect For Me (from her self-titled album)

Download Owl

1
So Quiet, So Still

2
My Older Lover

3
Move You To Tears

4
To Last Me A Lifetime

5
A Very Thin Line

6
It Don't Heal Clean

7
Married Man

8
But...I Want You Tonight

9
To Be Real

10
...To Give It All For Love

11
Life...When The Oracle Is Disproved

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link and mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I was the only one who remembered. Now how do we find the mysterious third album???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had this on vinyl a long time ago. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I give ;)
    The third record is called "Raven" (yes I do appreciate our feathered brethren--one of my daughters is called Wren). It was released on a small label called "Coyote" records at the turn of the last century. Most of this record was produced by Jim West (Weird Al) and Dana Walden (Champagne). N

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw....My eldest daughter (not named for a bird), created a Facebook fanpage for me. It is something of a work in progress-- It can be found at: Nathalie Archangel:)

    That daughter is 12---You must be a "Millenial" to add :) to a name under any circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a ton, Nathalie! I was hoping you'd find this! Thanks for commenting as well. It's an honour! I've joined your Facebook group. ;) Hopefully we can be exposed to the brilliance of your Raven album on there, and to any new music you might decide to thrill us with! Thanks again for stopping by!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back in 1992 my girlfriend was a music writer for a newspaper. Owl was a review CD (one of thousands each year) that came across her desk. I immediately loved ehe material and have listened to it ever since. Sad that her career she did not develope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. no way. i have been looking for somewhere online to re-listen to Owl tracks for ages. i used to go to sleep at night with the cassette playing on a little black boombox I had as a kid. Nathalie Archangel's Owl, the Big Chill Soundtrack, a few others... ah nostalgia! thanks so much blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this record on cassette. I thought I never listened before. It's very nice. I agrre that this could be compared to Cindy Lauper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nathalie has had a recently released single - Next To Me - remixed by Ricardo Autobahn. The original track and the remixes can be found on iTunes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember her song "It Don't Heal Clean" w/o the piano intro. on the former Richmond (VA) radio station "WVGO-106.5"

    I loved that one song :) I loved that station when it was on the air back in the early 90s until 106.5 The Buzz moved in during the mid to late 90s when the Seattle grunge craze took over :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I adore "Owl." I thought I was the only person left in the world who had a copy. The lyrics, her voice; I could listen to this CD all day long (and I actually have). Thanks for finding out that a 3rd album exists!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounding somewhere between kate bush and toyah wilcox and cyndi lauper is this hidden gem . 'owl' was cheap on ebay and i found it a real HOOT.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. New Nathatlie Archangel album out on iTunes on 9/6/19 on iTunes. It's called "The Prettier Things." If you see this comment, thanks for more music, Nathalie!

    ReplyDelete