Hi all! Due to life events, I will not be posting or reupping albums in the future. Some of the albums might be available on the Facebook group mentioned below. Thanks for understanding!

For Facebook users, please check out and join my new sharing group Trashy Treasures, featuring 70s, 80s and 90s music pleasures!! A lot like the Isle, but with everyone able to contribute and discuss the tasty old music we love!!!

For all you pop lovers on Facebook, you should join the Pop Rush Community Facebook page immediately. Lots of amazing shares of great pop music from the 1990's and 2000's!!

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Denise Lopez - Truth In Disguise (1988) & Every Dog Has Her Day!!! (1990) DOUBLE POST!!

Denise Lopez is an artist who is custom made for the Isle, but though I have had her albums forever, I never featured her because I assumed that she'd be back in the spotlight and on to bigger and better things. My dear friend Bomitoni did a post on her almost five years (!!!) ago on Milk Carton Pop Stars, and he could find little info about her. However, that was a long time ago and since then so many 'lost' artists have resurfaced on the internet, especially on Myspace and Facebook. Since Denise was a powerhouse vocalist and had three Billboard Top 100 'hits', I naturally assumed that she would reemerge and at least have her own Myspace page, especially given the glut of lesser freestyle divas popping up there as the years passed. (She does have a Myspace fan page and a Facebook fan page, however. And don't get her confused with the Swedish artist with the same name. ;) Then, in 2008 and out of nowhere, her last single, "Don't You Wanna Be Mine", was remixed by Bimbo Jones and released to become a huge dance hit. Though you would think that would bring Denise once again into the spotlight, nothing came of it. And she remains an enigma even still. The little info I can gather indicates that she was born in Queens, New York. She released a few dance singles on indie labels in the mid-80s, including the awesome electro track "Best Of Me", as Neecy Dee, and "Love Patrol", as part of an act of the same name. In 1987, with assistance from hot electro and HiNRG producers and remixers John Morales and Sergio Munzibai, she managed to get a HiNRG single released on RCA Victor, "If You Feel It". It was a club hit and got her an album deal with A&M Records. Her next single, the freestyle-ish "Sayin' Sorry (Don't Make It Right)" was a huge club smash and reached #31 on the Billboard Hot 100. Her next single was a rerelease of "If You Feel It", and though it managed to make it into the Hot 100 to #96 and almost made it to the top 20 on the dance charts, it was considered a disappointment. The third single, "Too Much Too Late", fared even worse. At the time I thought that this was where Denise's story ended. But years later I was trolling delete bins in Florida and delightedly came across her second album on A&M, which I never knew existed! I must say that I was a bit disappointed at first listen, however. Though John Morales was back on production, the freestyle and HiNRG elements that I loved on her first album were replaced with a much more pop/funk sound, thanks to assistance from producers (who have also worked with other Isle postees) Oliver Leiber (Stacy Earl, Alta Dustin, Bobby Z, Elisa Fiorillo) and David Z (also Bobby Z and Elisa Fiorillo, as well as Tyka Nelson and Terri Nunn). Over the years the album has grown on me, but I guess the slight change of sound didn't impress people at the time, as it didn't do very well. "Don't You Wanna Be Mine" did make it into the Hot 100, but no single followed. And then Denise truly did fade into obscurity. Until the rerelease of "Don't You Wanna Be Mine" in 2008, that is, which even updated the original music video. Apparently the Clivilles and Cole remix of the original was an underground hit in the UK in the early 1990s, and there were fans who demanded an update. But I remember at the time reading an article that claimed that Denise had nothing to do with the rerelease and was barely even made aware of it, and didn't make much, if anything, off of it. And clearly she wasn't interested in riding on the attention it got her. She apparently now either lives in New York or LA and continues to make musical appearances every now and again. Denise, we want you back! Yours is a voice that cannot be denied! We DO feel it!

Video for Sayin' Sorry (Don't Make It Right)

Download Truth In Disguise

1
Sayin' Sorry (Don't Make It Right)
2
Tell Me What It Is
3
Stop The Fight
4
I Wanna Fall In Love With You
5
Truth In Disguise
6
If You Feel It
7
Causa U
8
Too Much Too Late
9
Power Of Suggestion

Video for Don't You Wanna Be Mine

Video for 2008 rerelease of Don't You Wanna Be Mine

Download Every Dog Has Her Day!!!

1
Don't You Wanna Be Mine
2
Communicate
3
Causa U
4
Land Of The Living
5
Love Come Down
6
It's Just My Heart That's Breakin'
7
Loving You A To Z
8
I Want U 2 Know
9
Layin' Down The Law
10
Everlasting Love

18 comments:

  1. Loved Denise Lopez! I have both discs, too. She had a big voice, better than many of the other freestyle and pop/dance divas. What a shame that she's remained anonymous. Maybe she'll post here and give her fans an update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, my Power Of Suggestion may prompt you to Communicate your recent adventures in the Land Of The Living. If You Feel It, don't hesitate to Tell Me What It Is you have been exploring, musically and otherwise. Everlasting Love!

      Delete
  2. Oh I cannot wait to downloads these. Yes - Don't You Wanna Be Mine is very well known in the UK, and although the re-release did not impact the charts it was played out and on TV a fair bit in my own experience. It's a sensational-looking video, but I just left it at that so will check those links out asap. I've always been curious about her, so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rad! I was just randomly singing Sayin' Sorry (Don't Make It Right) in my head as I wandered around shopping today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no memory of ever hearing "Sayin' Sorry (Don't Make It Right)". The recollection hit HARD as it started playing and I was truly surprised how well I knew this song. I must have loved this as a child of the late 80's and forgot about it as years went on.
    Thank you so much for exhuming this from my subconscious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, seeing these albums posted just made me feel old. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just discovered that Denise Lopez has released two other singles. She released "best of me" as Neecy Dee and the other song "the love you take" with Dan Hartman which appears on a soundtrack. I am waiting for this one to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I posted a link to "Best Of Me" in my post above. ;) I don't have "The Love You Take" though, so I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dude! I've been looking for the lyrics of "power of suggestion" for ages, do you happen to have them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This link is dead... But here is a post of "the love you take" ..it sounds like it was breaking up
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jrzv_dan-hartman-denise-lopez-the-love-y_music

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks a ton for these, from a fellow Torontonian.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise Lopez is the best and she should be celebrated for her efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise was amazing back in the day and her music crushes what they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been a Denise Lopez Fan since "If You Feel It" originally dropped on Maxi-Single LP in late 1987 & I still am a huge fan. "Sayin' Sorry" was my favorite jam in '88 ~ "Truth In Disguise" was my #1 album for the Summer of 1988. I've had her music in every format from LP, 45's Cassingles, both Albums on CD & Digital Download. Damn Good Staying Power for someone who hasn't had a release in 30 years. She is still noted & recognized for musical contribution after all this time. ~ LOVE Denise Lopez. 🤟😉👌

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have both CD’s and play them quite often. I was shocked to find there was nothing available from her on iTunes, just to put the songs on my iPhone. Why she only put out two albums remains a mystery but to have those CD’s gives me great joy. I even go on utube just to watch the one video “Saying sorry don’t make it right” they have available. I hope she is happy wherever she is, she gave me a lot of enjoyment and makes me think of happy times “back in the day “!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have both CD’s that Denise released and would not part with them for the world. I was disappointed not to hear more from her but “Saying Sorry Don’t Make it Right” and “Don’t you want to be mine” gave me such joy and when I play them today they take me back to a time in my life filled with fun, joy and happiness. Denise, where ever you are, thank you for giving me music that takes me “back in the day” when people went to clubs to dance and maybe more.....

    ReplyDelete